Sunday 26 April 2020

‘Thank you for the music…’


Before I begin, please accept my apologies for the Abba themed title, it was the best I could come up with.

It might seem controversial to you, but in my normal day-to-day life, I don’t listen to very much music, at least not for pleasure. Many people listen to music in the car, but I am an aficionado of a good podcast, particularly ones about rugby. Many others would have music on in the background whilst doing other things, but I tend to be distracted by the music rather than finding it helpful. Also, I’ve heard more renditions of the Beverley Hills Cop theme tune (known as the Crazy Frog song to the younger readers) than anyone should do in their life, so perhaps I am usually just a bit musicked out.

Easter however, brought with it an opportunity to do something I had been putting off for a long time: the garden. The patchy lawn that I try my best to ignore was calling out for me to start again, turn the soil over, rake out the old grass, and re-seed, to give our family somewhere nice to spend our time over the summer months. With a cancelled family holiday, I now had the time, and no excuses.

To say I don’t enjoy gardening is an understatement, so I needed something to help pass the time. That’s where music stepped in. The music app on my phone generates playlists for me based on songs it thinks I would like, and I thought I would give it a go. It was a bit hit and miss at first. Many of the suggestions were based on songs I had played at school, or to my 16-month-old boy, and didn’t quite work for me, but some of the songs I had never heard before (like the one in the picture), brought a joy and energy to me that I hadn’t felt for a long time, and that led me to worship God, who created music.

James tells us that ‘Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.’ (James 1:17 NIV). Whilst some music does not glorify God in its lyrical content, I believe that all good music glorifies God and is a way of leading us to worship God who is infinitely creative. And of course, it doesn’t start or stop with music, we can find ways to worship God by giving him the glory for anything we enjoy, whether that’s in films, sports, art, poetry, trigonometry, Shakespeare, nature, the list is endless.

Challenge

What things do you love to do? Now that many of us have more time to spend at home and on our hobbies, what things make you come alive? My challenge for you is to spend time enjoying these things over the coming days and through that give glory to the God who created them.

Prayer

Father God, thank you that you are the ultimate creator. Thank you that you created each of us with unique passions and talents. Teach us to give you glory for those things that you have created for us to enjoy, and use our talents to further your Kingdom.

Amen


Written by Neal Osgood

Teacher of Music


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pentecost!

Our final post is a contribution from Bishop Paul. Many blessing on this Pentecost Sunday.