Monday 4 May 2020

And Know - Part 2



Psalm 46:10 says:  Be Still, and Know, that I am God…

Know.

What does it mean to “know” something?

I think in English we need to think about the levels of knowing in order to fully appreciate what “Knowing” and “Being Known” really means.

I know the alphabet: It’s a pattern that I was taught when I was young.  I know how to add numbers together: There’s a rule I was taught.  I know how to play the guitar: I have invested time and effort into regular practice.  I know that fire is hot: I’ve burnt myself enough times.

There are so many things that my brain is aware of because of patterns, or learning or experience.
And then there are the things that permeate deeper than my head.

I know that breathing is good for me: It’s something that is engrained deep within my involuntary muscles.  I know I am loved by my parents, my wife, my children, and my friends, not just because of their words and actions, but because of the way they speak to my heart and my soul.  I know there is something wrong with life as we know it, though I’ve not been part of a perfect world.

Yada is more than just that though…

It includes the notion of knowledge.  It includes familiarity.  It includes experience.  It is about learning and growing and discerning and finding and becoming.

But then:

Adam “Yada” Eve, and they had a child.  Noah “Yada” the flood was receding and the earth was ready to become fruitful again.  God “Yada” Jeremiah in the womb and called him forth.

The idea is that to “Yada”, to know to the extent of naked identity and intimacy, is to bring about life.

The notion of “Yada” is that God has that knowledge of us already, and the relationship he is calling us into is so that we can know him in the same way.

And so, back to the Psalmist, who says “Har·pū Yada”…

Be still … Let Go … Sink … Relax …

And

Know … Experience … Be aware … Get intimate … Bring about life…

With God.

Prayer

May our knowledge of God grow deeper than the things we know about God.
May our experience of God be something that permeates beyond our brain.
May our encounter and knowledge of God be one that brings life to us, and to those around us.

Amen

Challenge 

What would it mean for you to “Yada” God, to really know him? Find time and space today to try getting to know him.
How can you share God’s love with those around you?  How can you bring life to the people around you?




Written by Marc Williamson

Youth Worker, Nottingham North East Methodist Circuit
Marc regularly delivers Acts of Worship at Bluecoat Aspley and Wollaton


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pentecost!

Our final post is a contribution from Bishop Paul. Many blessing on this Pentecost Sunday.