Wednesday 20 May 2020

Love

Recent events have forced us to slow down. With this comes time for reflection and re-evaluation of what matters to us and what we hold dear. Consequently, the ‘new normal’ everyone is talking about could look anything but normal and, in many ways, I pray that this will be the case….

This time has allowed me to ponder the following question: What do I love?  

I would like to extend that question to you: What do you love?

When I think of the word ‘love’, I think of chocolate, dogs, and my family. I hear myself saying I ‘love’ all those things.

However, after a while, I often remember that one of the first things I should think about is God…

When I asked you that question, which of you thought, ‘I love God’?  If we are being honest, many of us wouldn’t have – at least, not at first.

Jesus stated in John 10, “I and the father are one.” As a Christian, the fact that I didn’t think of Jesus first concerns me. It’s kind of important, right?

In The Parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10: 27) Jesus explains and, in turn, commands us to:

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind”; and, “Love your neighbour as yourself… Do this and you will live.”

John 14:21 reads:

“And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”

The word love is everywhere and, one could argue, belittled daily:




Is this really what love means? Is it really about a city, fast food, cooking, or a spread?

In 1 John, 15-17 we are specifically cautioned against this type of love:

“Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.”

It’s pretty clear, right? So why, at times, is it easier to proclaim that I love these worldly things than it is to admit that I love Jesus?

Do I love Jesus? If so, what does this love look like? What does it mean? These are questions I’ve previously wrestled with.

In church, we sing about loving Jesus and the movement towards an increasingly emotional response and understanding of Christianity is nowhere more obvious than in modern worship. From many conversations with those new to faith, I know this can be a barrier for people. At times, I couldn’t even sing lyrics to some songs because I wasn’t sure I actually believed them – I wanted it to be true if I was singing it aloud to my God.

Today’s blog is intended to be one of reassurance. I’ve come to understand that love is not some over-romanticised, extreme liking of something. It certainly isn’t lust. These feelings may be associated with love, but love - genuine love - can exist without these feelings.

The Bible teaches that love is an act of obedience. It’s a choice we get to make multiple times a day. It’s about a relationship. It’s all those things in 1 Corinthians 13:

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”

Earlier, I left out a key part of John 14:21. It actually reads:

“Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”

Contrast this definition of love with what the world would have us believe.

Prayer

Loving Father, thank you that you loved us so much that you sent your son to be a sacrifice for our sins. Thank you that we can have a relationship with you, through Jesus. Help us to follow your word, to become more like Jesus every day, and to be confident of our place in your kingdom. Amen.

 

Challenge

Reflect on your own faith and relationship with Jesus. Can you answer the question: do you love Jesus? What might you need to do to embolden your answer to become a resounding “YES!”? Give it to Jesus, in prayer, reflecting on the passages above. Remember, God is for you!

Written by Ash Ward

Teacher at Bluecoat Primary

Teacher of Year 4 at Bluecoat primary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pentecost!

Our final post is a contribution from Bishop Paul. Many blessing on this Pentecost Sunday.