Sunday 17 May 2020

‘Music was my first love’

Okay, so John Miles is probably a cooler reference for a title than Abba which I used in my first post, but I don’t think I’ve reached the peak of ‘coolness’ for titles that I aspire to yet.

I don’t know about you, but my social media newsfeeds are full of people trying new things during this ‘lockdown’. People are buying new exercise equipment and exercising far more than ever before. I know of people who are taking up new musical instruments, learning languages, doing DIY they’ve put off for years (me), and doing all sorts of new things to help keep themselves busy, healthy, and productive during this time. So many people want to be bakers, that now the only thing you can’t get from the supermarkets, it seems, is flour and yeast to make bread *sigh*.

Learning new things is a great idea, it’s good for the body, the brain, and the soul. But recently I’ve been thinking not of doing completely new things, but doing the things that I always say ‘I don’t have time for that anymore’. A friend of mine used to tell me whenever I would say that I didn’t have time for something, that I should re-phrase it as ‘I don’t make time for’ that thing. There is a helpful distinction here, because we always find time to do some things, even if they are unhelpful, but right now I have time. I don’t need to ‘make time’ at the minute. I have lots of it. All of my usual rehearsals and social engagements are off. As is the weekly parkrun, trip to the swimming pool, church services (except the virtual kind) etc. so what I have been asking myself is ‘what do I usually say I have no time to do, which I now have time to do?’.
 
For me, this means investing not in learning new things but investing in my talents. Piano practice is something that I ‘never have time for’, and now I do, so I’m learning some new pieces, and finishing some new ones I never properly finished. I have time to accompany my wife playing the flute, who is an exceptional player (she’s better than me at the piano too!), whereas normally we don’t have any time until our son goes to bed, at which point the noise generated would not be helpful. But in this period, we’ve learnt that he likes to listen and play along with his percussion instruments whilst we make music together. And after bedtime I can scratch the itch to be a music tech nerd by practising mixing songs from ‘stems’ you can get online. I’ve even managed to record some piano for online church worship using a couple of microphones rather than my usual fancy keyboard.

Jesus tells the parable of the talents recounted in Matthew 25:14-30 and Luke 19:11-27, and it is something I’m sure many of us know well. In the parable a wealthy man gives his servants some money to look after whilst he goes away. In the story these units of money are called talents, which is helpful to the point I want to make. Two of the servants invested in their talents and grew them, and they were given more. One buried his, worried that he might lose it if he risked investing it, and he… well let’s just say he didn’t win the story...

Trying something new is great, and I whole-heartedly recommend it, but if you find yourself having more time on your hand during this ‘lockdown’, how can you invest in your own talents to grow them?



Prayer


Father God, thank you for blessing us with a unique array of talents. Thank you that each of us has the ability to learn new things and improve those talents we already have. Show us how we can use the time you have given us to increase our talents for glory of your Name.

Amen.


Challenge




What do you always say you ‘don’t have time for’? Which of your talents do you neglect, because you’re already very good at them, even though you could get even better? I would encourage you to invest in the things that you’re already really good at, as well as learning something new.



Written by Neal Osgood

Teacher of Music

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pentecost!

Our final post is a contribution from Bishop Paul. Many blessing on this Pentecost Sunday.