Monday 25 May 2020

Dealing with Disappointment

Birthdays, Prom, Results day, new-born babies. These are all events that are now not able to look as we were expecting. For me it was my Wedding day. For each of us it will be something different.

Here are a few thoughts and tips on how I dealt with my disappointment.

Firstly, it's ok to be upset.

Disappointment does look different for each of us but that doesn’t mean that one is more important or upsetting than another. With so much happening in the world today it is easy to minimise our pain as we feel selfish because someone else is going through something worse. I’d encourage you at this time to take a moment to process any disappointment that you are facing. A bible verse that helped me through this is Jeremiah 29v11 “for I know the plans I have for you declares the lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you plans to give you a hope and a future!” this gives us hope and allows us to see past our point of pain.

Secondly, don’t let something bad stop everything good.

It is easy when we face disappointment to just cancel our plans and call the whole thing off. However, I would encourage you that we can’t let something bad stop everything good. There is still joy to be found in the pain. Why not get creative? Make a way to celebrate! Maybe you get a video call going with your friends and have a mini ‘stay at home prom’. Maybe you order some banners and balloons and have a ‘stay at home birthday’. Your day may not look as planned however a verse that helped me to be thankful for each day anyway is Psalm 118v24 it says, “This is the day that the lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it”. Take the time to make memories and celebrate in any way possible!

Thirdly, think of others.

It is important to remember that you are not the only one facing disappointment at this time. Those around you may also be missing birthdays, anniversaries and graduations! Take time to be thoughtful and think about them. Something that really helped me to get through what should have been my wedding day was the kind words and generosity of those around me. You have the ability to make such a positive difference in someone else’s world... so use it!


Prayer

Thank you, God, that even on the toughest days we can find a reason to be joyful and celebrate. I pray that over the next few weeks you will help us to be thoughtful of other people’s disappointments. I pray that you will help us to be creative in helping us to think of ways that we can be glad each day and make those around us feel loved.

Amen.

Here’s a feel-good song to get you feeling thankful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8E6LDWsBJE


Challenge

Today I challenge you to celebrate someone who is facing disappointment! Maybe you could order a card to their house or make one yourself! Reach out and make someone feel thought about! It will do you good too!



Written by Harriet Raper

Learning support assistant, Nottingham Emmanuel school.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pentecost!

Our final post is a contribution from Bishop Paul. Many blessing on this Pentecost Sunday.