Thursday 21 May 2020

Friends That Stick It Out

I’ve always wanted to be good at running – you know, being out there with my fresh Nike flyknits and AirPods; completing my nomination challenge to run 5k for the NHS. But the reality is – I'm terrible at running. 

Every year I say to myself – this year, this year will be the year you run your first 10k... no, your first half marathon! And every year, I slide on my running trainers, get the workout tunes blasting, and head out believing I’ll make it round the park. Every year I get 5 minutes in, realise I can’t breathe and my legs feel like metal; and decide to head home for pizza and Netflix instead.

Now, a few of my friends know about my many failed attempts at running. They also know that despite pretending like I’m not actually that bothered – I do genuinely want to get better at it, and actually feel pretty rubbish about how I don’t seem to get anywhere.

So, cue my first running intervention, or in other words – the first time my friend forced me to go on a run WITH them. That’s right – I had to get my running trainers on and display my embarrassing running ability directly in front of someone else. Did they realise that I actually wouldn’t be able to talk to them during the run because I wouldn’t be able to breathe never mind say words?! Did they realise how humiliating it was going to be to be seen next to the gasping tomato that would be me in just a few minutes time?! Nevertheless – they came out with me, and 15 minutes later... I was still running! They cheered me on, encouraged me to keep going, showed me how to pace my breathing properly, and distracted me from how much it hurt with incentives of chocolate when we got to the end. Six weeks later – I am now running with friends twice a week, and have hit the 5k mark without stopping!

I am so thankful for friends that chose to go with me, and stick with me to cheer me on through my pained attempts at exercise!

Friends like these really remind me of a character in the Bible called Ruth.

Ruth was a woman in the Old Testament who sadly lost her husband, and instead of going back to her own family - chose to stick with and support her mother-in-law, Naomi, through her grief.

Now Naomi had turned pretty sad and bitter due to the loss of her sons, and her own husband too, and Ruth genuinely had nothing to gain by choosing to stick with Naomi in this time. Naomi even tried to send Ruth back home, but Ruth was having none of it – she gave this really bold speech where she says:

‘Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you will go, I will go; and where you stay, I will stay. Your people will be my people, and your God my God. Where you die, I will die!’
Ruth 1:16-17

Legit – what a hero. How incredible is this sign of friendship!

When Naomi wasn’t at her best – Ruth choose to go with her, to stick with her during a really difficult time. Just like my friends choose to go with me, to stick with me when I wasn’t at my best.

Now I don’t know about you, but Ruth’s story massively inspires me to want to be the best possible friend I can be, even if there’s nothing in it for myself!

Life in lock down can be tough. And that means there might be lots of people who are not at their best, who may need a good friend to go and stick by them, who may need a Ruth in their life. Could you be that person?

 

Prayer

Dear Lord, thank you that you made us to be in community, to do life together with friends. Thank you for the story of Ruth and how she models what being a good friend looks like. Help me be a good friend to those around me, even when things are hard. 
Amen.

 

Challenge

Is there someone you can think of that could do with a really good friend right now? How can you reach out to them to champion and encourage them in this time?

 

Written by Sarah Pickup 

Youth Ministry Staff, Trent Vineyard Church Nottingham

(Sarah and her team regularly deliver Acts of Worship and the Alpha course at Bluecoat Wollaton)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pentecost!

Our final post is a contribution from Bishop Paul. Many blessing on this Pentecost Sunday.