Tuesday 12 May 2020

FINDING PEACE IN THE STORM

Have you ever been frightened for your life? When I was 10 years old I went on holiday with my family to the Lake District. Whilst on holiday, me and my dad rented a two man kayak and took it out on Lake Ullswater. I was so excited and at first, everything was perfect: the weather, the scenery and the still water. We paddled 300 meters out from shore and suddenly the boat capsized. A peaceful moment, suddenly turned into panic as I was tipped upside down into the water. I couldn’t swim, and my life jacket was so old it didn’t work. I was frightened for my life and there was nothing I could do. Thankfully, my Dad saw me struggling, grabbed my life jacket and brought me back to shore. That day my dad saved my life.

I share this story because sometimes life is like this, one moment everything seems perfect, then suddenly our lives can be thrown into a state of panic and fear. As a Christian I am thankful that we have a Father in heaven, who can help and rescue us from difficult situations. My experience in the kayak reminds me of a story in the Bible:

‘Jesus Calms the Storm’ Mark 4: 35 – 41
That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side.” Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped. Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?” He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” They were terrified and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!”

In the story, I imagine what started as a peaceful evening in the boat, turned into a life threatening situation. The Sea of Galilee was known for sudden storms and the disciples knew the waves were big enough to capsize their boat and take their lives. Thankfully, the disciples had Jesus in their boat and He saved their lives. Has your life ever been hit by a storm? Perhaps you’re experiencing fear and panic as a result of Covid-19: adapting suddenly to working from home, teaching your kids, concerned about loved ones, worried about finances or dealing with bereavement. Whatever your storm looks like, we can find hope in Jesus knowing that he has authority to command the storm to “Be Quiet!” and “Be Still!”

God doesn’t cause the storms in our lives, but He can use them to teach us to trust in Him. When we feel out of control our natural response is fear and panic. Nicky Gumbel writes, ‘Jesus wants you to learn to conquer your fears and trust Him even in the middle of the storms of life.’ Jesus could sleep in the storm because he had peace and assurance in God’s protection. We too can experience peace when we take our focus off our circumstances and place our focus on Jesus. Even when life feels out of control, we can trust that Jesus has control and that he will get us through the storm


Challenge

How do we trust Jesus in the storm?
Firstly, we need to go to God in prayer and we need to ask God to help and strengthen us to get through the challenges we face. Secondly, trust God’s promises over your life (Read Isaiah 12: 2 & Psalm 18: 1 – 3). Thirdly, have faith that Jesus is with you in your storm. As you do this, I believe you will experience peace in your storm.

Prayer

Dear God, 
I pray that we would learn to trust you when we experience storms in our lives. I thank you that you are with us in every storm we face through your Holy Spirit. I pray that as we focus on you in prayer and remind ourselves of your promises over our lives, we would experience peace through every storm we face. Amen.


Written by James Gordon

Teaching Assistant at Bluecoat Aspley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pentecost!

Our final post is a contribution from Bishop Paul. Many blessing on this Pentecost Sunday.