Saturday 2 May 2020

Freedom in Lockdown


Like many others, I have been reading more during this time and themes of freedom and acceptance strike me. Edith Eger, a Holocaust survivor, in her book, 'The Choice' (I would recommend it) has learnt to accept what happened to her and not let it control the choices she makes now. She had learnt to love and accept herself, forgive others and through that has found freedom to choose how to live:

“You can’t change what happened, you can’t change what you did or what was done to you. But you can choose how you live now”
Edith Eger.

The message version of The Bible gives us a description of the life of freedom that Christ has to offer:

““Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.””
Matthew 11:28-30 MSG

Christ will meet us where we are. He accepts us as we are. We can come to him with our mess and faults. There’s no need to strive to improve ourselves or make ourselves perfect or to beat ourselves up when we are not. It’s about God’s grace. I love that phrase, “Learn the unforced rhythms of grace”.

Prayer is about relationship with God, “keeping company with Him”, walking with Him through our lives. Letting Christ teach us - watching how He does it. He accepts us as we are, not a better version of us, but as we are now.

This, passage for me is a description of freedom. Even in a time when our physical freedoms are restricted, God will show us how to live freely and lightly.

Prayer

Father God,
Thank you that the life you offer is not about being perfect. This is about your Grace. Thank you for meeting us where we are. Father God teach us how to live freely and lightly in relationship with you.
Amen



Challenge

In the midst of what we are facing we can remember that Christ offers acceptance and freedom. Jesus can show us the way through prayer and relationship with Him.






Written by Alison Loose
Lead Teacher of Physics
The Nottingham Emmanuel School

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pentecost!

Our final post is a contribution from Bishop Paul. Many blessing on this Pentecost Sunday.