Friday 8 May 2020

VE Day


As today approached, I have found myself thinking about my family, my family history, the people who have come into my life ,and left it, leaving me forever changed.  Some of these people are shadows but they still form part of my identity.  Some of the changes come from events that have happened to me. They have sculpted me as the event has scraped, squeezed and thrown me. Over time I have been moulded, smoothed and spun in ways that I didn’t even realise.  I think about my grandmother living through war and how it changed her forever. I remember fondly how she always opened presents with such care so as to reuse the wrapping paper. Next birthday was a guarantee that you would receive a present in the same paper, tiny bits of old Sellotape still attached! 


These changes that happen bring a newness of life whether we are ready or not. Like Jesus' resurrection,  we are reminded that from the depths of despair comes hope. We are compelled to continue our growth towards God in all things that impact our lives. Peter 1:3 teaches us, “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection”.  We hear of big miracles like this in The Bible. Many people of faith feel these are important. However, it is the small miracles, the slow motion miracles  and changes that are important to me. For example, COVID-19 has enabled  me to have the privilege of seeing the slow changes in my sons. Joey has learnt how to say new words, whilst Charlie has learnt to spell new words and nailed some of the footy skill he’s been working on!  Slow motion change is a huge part of our personal growth and is shaped by the people and experiences around us. We experience change all of the time; how a word or action can affect you, the impact of art or a book, a small act of kindness when someone is anxious or sick themselves. Love, care and decent humans who live in hope can be seen during this pandemic at all times, just as in World War II. These decent humans have been no more prevalent than the ones I experience working within the Bluecoat Aspley Family.  Under the right conditions new life and growth is an exceptional miracle, and through corona virus adversity, I believe that like Jesus, we are able to experience new life breaking out of all of us. A life with love, kindness and hope. Let us not forget the lesson in Galatians 6:9,  "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."


Challenge

Write down three changes that you experience today. It might be a change in attitude, or a change in how you view something or someone. It might be progression towards a goal. For each of these changes, acknowledge how God is bringing you hope and encouragement. 


Prayer

God, thank you for being there in the good and the bad. In all of the small things we experience, you are with us. Help us to care for others, and in doing so, may we bring about your kingdom here on earth. 

Amen


Written by Gemma Baxter

Assistant Principal at Bluecoat Aspley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pentecost!

Our final post is a contribution from Bishop Paul. Many blessing on this Pentecost Sunday.