Sunday 24 May 2020

Lift Your Eyes

A friend asked me the other day, ‘Am I supposed to be sad all the time?  I watch the news and see all that is wrong with the world.  I get in touch with friends and listen as they pour out their worries and troubles.  I look on social media and read about people’s frustrations with their current situations.  I want to be understanding and supportive but it’s getting me down.’

This is a tricky question and one I have been reflecting on for myself too.

In Paul’s letter to the church in Rome he encourages the believers to ‘Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.  Live in harmony with one another.’ (Romans 12: 15&16)  Presumably, Paul took his cue from Jesus who celebrated with friends at a wedding in Cana and later wept with the relatives of Lazarus in front of his tomb before restoring him to life.  It feels right and appropriate to stand alongside others in the midst of their experiences and emotions.  However, if that just leaves us feeling low or even overwhelmed then we end up being no help to anyone not even ourselves.

Throughout the Old Testament we are exhorted to ‘look up… lift your eyes’ to the stars, to the heavens, to where your help comes from, to God.  I find this a helpful encouragement but how, practically, do I do it?

In Philippians, Paul writes:


“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”  

Philippians 4:8


So, no, we don’t need to be sad all the time.  There is much to weep over as we look at the state of the world but if we also look for what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy we’ll also find much to be thankful for.  If you’re still struggling then try this challenge…


Challenge


Ask family, friends, colleagues to tell you something they are thankful for today.  I did this and here are some of the answers, which have made me smile and encouraged me to keep lifting my eyes to God.

·         I am thankful that I work with such amazing people.  The lockdown has made me realise how 'dear' to me the rest of the team are and I class them all as my 'other family.'

·         I'm thankful that I get to see more of my son.

·         It has been wonderful, in many ways, to be 'at home' with safety, warmth and comfort whilst having space but closeness to my family.

·         In the 8th week of school being closed one of my students began his first piece of work.

·         I am thankful that I have still been able to connect with people.


Prayer

Father God, thank you for encouraging me to keep lifting my eyes to you.  Help me today to look beyond the mess, the sadness and brokenness; to recognise and celebrate the truth, the pure, the lovely and the excellent.  As I do so enable me to support and help others not in my own strength but in Yours. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


Written by Angela Mills

Learning Support Mentor, The Nottingham Emmanuel School


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pentecost!

Our final post is a contribution from Bishop Paul. Many blessing on this Pentecost Sunday.